The star of the History Channel's "Roots" talks about his faith, his strange route toward his iconic role, and what he learned from playing Kunta Kinte.
GleaningsImportant Developments in the Church and the World
- May 25,
Died: Kenneth Bailey, the Scholar Who Made Jesus Middle Eastern AgainThe late scholar helped Western Christians see the Bible through a cultural lens.
- May 24,
Ken Starr Fired? Baylor Reviews Investigation into Football Sex ScandalAmerica's biggest Baptist university expected to announce changes next week.
- May 24,
Why Most Pastors Don't Do Prison MinistryMost have gone to jail (to visit), but few have former inmates in their pews.
- May 23,
Where Successful Church Plants Get Their MoneyHere's how church plants become self-sufficient—and what financially stable churches have in common.
- Does the Road to Character Run Through Silicon Valley?The HBO show draws us in with deeper questions about power and morals.
- Living in a (Nominal) Religious ContextNominal religious contexts do not mean the end of the church.(The Exchange)
- Embarazada y en misión en territorio zika: ¿Me quedo o me voy?El brote llegó a Honduras durante el tercer trimestre de mi tan esperado embarazo
- From Jesus to Mary and Back Again: The History of the AnnunciationThe surprising reason it falls during Lent, and why it has been important for fighting heresy and abortion.
- The Real Reason You Can’t Date JesusWhen it comes to 'boyfriend' language, we draw the right conclusion for the wrong reasons.
- Matthew Lee Anderson's Vision for Top-Shelf MinistryWhy the Mere Orthodoxy blogger wants churches to keep the bar high—and help people reach it.
- JoyThe film is uneven, but Joy knows just who she is.
- When God Is Strange and AwfulVictor Lee Austin was living a Song of Songs life. Then he learned what it’s like to become Job.